Happy New Year to all! It is the rhubarb season here in New Zealand, so I thought I might make a rhubarb pie for New Year’s Day. Not an ordinary humdrum rhubarb pie – but a special pie using a special recipe. In fact, a French recipe because they often do ordinary things differently and it is after all New Year’s Day and special.
I found a recipe and searched out how to make the special pastry that forms the base. Of course, it is in French which isn’t exactly my first language, so I put it into an online translation service. I share the translation of the recipe here. Perhaps you might like to use it. I shall be starting it early!
- Blanche egg yolks with sugar and relax.
- Put butter in pieces and salt on the floor.
- Take the butter in your hands and cross your fingers.
- The floor passes through your fingers.
- Note the pieces of butter coating the floor.
- The finished product should form a fountain.
- Quickly incorporate the elements using a dough cutter without giving it to any body.
- Form a ball.
- For variation make almond shortbread.
It looks delicious. Happy New Year one and all!